Hello Pitch Wars! Here’s my #PimpMyBio.
This is me:
My name’s Charlie. I live in Southern California and I have some publications in poetry, short fiction, and nonfiction. When I’m not writing short fiction or YA SFF, I work for a nonprofit.
The manuscript I’m entering into Pitch Wars has been in the works for a few years (and a few rewrites and a few critique group betas), but I’m at a stage where entering Pitch Wars means a great opportunity to take my work to the next level.
I’m new to this
competition opportunity. While I know it’s possible I won’t get in, after interacting with folks at #PitchWars and #ontheporch, I’m happy to have found such a friendly and generous community of people. Whenever I can give some kind of advice or help in return, it’s a great feeling.
This is my ms:
Title: Rise a Knight
Category: YA Contemporary Fantasy
Pitch: Cadence is shot, then learns she’s a reincarnated knight. Reborn enemies are hunting knights for magic. In one day, Cadence races to stop them before they steal the power that ended her dead world.
Comps: Once Upon a Time meets 24.
Inspiration: This ms is #ownvoices for several reasons. But I honestly just wanted a cool story with a hero I could identify with.
This is my heart all over my ms:
- My hero is a pacifist. She wants to save the world and the bad guys.
- ❤️ The absolutely epic backstory. I love mythology and folklore. The ancient world my characters came from is based on those, with a history robust enough to be its own novel series. Speaking of which…
- My main character is from my first two novels, which are drawer novels. I thought I would never get to write about her again… But she came back as a reincarnation! And I’ve spent the last 7 years on this ms, so this version of her is sticking around.
- The story passes the Bechdel test. (YES!)
Me & writing are like…
- I have a Masters degree in Creative Writing. I know how to take
a beatingconstructive criticism. (And give it in return…)
- That said, I’ve taken courses in publishing basics, poetry, fiction, graphic novel, screenwriting, and television writing… I’m always happy to answer questions in my wheelhouse.
- Dialogue is my strength. It comes easily. Physicality (setting/movement) requires more attention.
- I have performed two memoir pieces on stage!
- I once wrote an entire 20-page paper with a 102 fever in one day… Two weeks early… (Dedication~!)
- I have embraced the fact that I will always think of at least five edits after I hit send/submit/update.
- I make it a life requirement to regularly visit the beach. (As you can tell by looking around…)
- I LOVE listening to epic/movie trailer music from Two Steps from Hell, Audiomachine, Brand X Music, Immediate Music, Full Tilt, etc… it’s pretty much guaranteed I’ll get inspiration/an idea while doing so.
- Recently, I’ve enjoyed watching Dark Matter, Into the Badlands, and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D…. I am all over the badassery of Asian and/or female characters.
- About four years ago, I went to see a kitten who needed a home. She laid at my feet.
Some highly ranked reads:
- Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
- Misfit by Jon Skovron
- Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams
- The Alienist by Caleb Carr
- On Writing by Stephen King
- Graceling by Kristin Cashore
- White Cat by Holly Black
- Cinder by Marissa Meyer
- The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
- In Our Time by Ernest Hemingway
- Blink by Malcolm Gladwell
- Save the Cat by Blake Snyder
- The Unfinished World and Other Stories by Amber Sparks
- Hart & Boot & Other Stories by Tim Pratt
… and many more.
Questions? Comments? Special requests?? I look forward to meeting/interacting with you all! (And if you think we might be a CP match, please reach out! I’d love a long-term CP match.)
Now, let’s get out there and tear it up, Pitch Warriors!